Monday, April 16, 2012

avocado








We have a thing for avocados in our family.
and when I say "we" I mean Kaylee, Riley, and myself.
Lily and Michael only think they they don't like avocados.
but they will someday...
trust me.
and Mallory will love them when she's old enough to taste one:)

So every single time I cut an avocado open I pull the pit out and think to myslef, "Self, you should plant this." 
Clearly I can't have an avocado tree outdoors in Idaho, but I don't plan to live in Idaho forever and who says we can't have an indoor avocado tree for a few years until we live in a more "avocado friendly" environment?
I researched "how to grow an avocado tree" and I'm glad I did because I would have never guessed that this is how you start.
It was really fast, really easy, and I didn't have to purchase any soil or pots or anything. 
I talked to my sister, Emma, yesterday and she said they tried this at my mom and dad's a while back and nothing happened. Evidently it's very common for the pits to never sprout. Lucky for us, we go through enough avocados that we can keep trying and trying and trying:)

3 comments:

  1. Let us know how it works and the tricks you learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad successfully sprouted one! It turns into a beautiful plant that they had indoors for a long time:) Then... It died. I think lack of sunlight and water.

    ReplyDelete