Friday, August 10, 2012

i want to ride my bicycle

So, Michael took the training wheels off Lily's bike a few weeks ago. Seeing her bike lying in the grass with no training wheels to prop it up brought back a wave of memories of pride and joy and glee. As I watched Lily ride up and down and up and down the sidewalk, I suddenly and vividly remembered what it felt like to finally have the training wheels off my bike. I remembered what it felt like to be so proud of myself and be so satisfied with my performance. I remember wanting everyone to see what I could do now that I'm a big girl. I laughed as Lily exclaimed, "I can't believe I'm doing this! I just so proud of myself!" Her joy radiated through me and I was six again. So proud and so ecstatic. Only I'm not six. Somehow in some strange way it's my baby who's suddenly big enough to ride a "two-wheeler". My memories of being a little girl were so real and vivid that day. I don't know where the time has gone. I'm telling you that life is an amazing miracle. I am so blessed and lucky and fortunate to be a momma to this little girl and her sisters. And guess what. There is a God in Heaven who is watching us and taking great joy in our small joys, just the way we do with our children. How blessed we all are to have such a loving Heavenly Father. All we have to do is look around to see how much he loves us.

2 comments:

  1. Awww! I love this post! Such beautiful words. I remember taking the training wheels off of my bike too. Do you remember teaching me to ride a 2-wheeler? It was when we lived on buckboard ct. You taught me on Zachary's bike:)

    ReplyDelete