Thursday, June 16, 2011

photo journal day 9

I know I KNOW! You are jumping out of your seat, this is so exciting. It's not. But it IS what I did today. If you want to buy REAL bacon bits at the store you have to pay almost 5 dollars to get two strips worth of crumbled bacon. Your other option is to pay only slightly less money for bacon flavored cardboard. Your other OTHER option that you didn't know about is to make your own!

Steps:
1) freeze your pack of bacon but not completely. {like 30 min or so}
2) open your package {important!}  and cut entire mass into 1/4 in strips the long way and 1/4 in strips the short way {its okay if you cut a little bigger}
3) dump into skillet, the pieces will separate while cooking.
4) remove from skillet with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to cool
5) once cool, spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
6) when frozen, dump the bits into a plastic baggie and put them back in the freezer!

Honestly I never even used bacon bits before my sis-in-law, Jamie, gave me the best salad recipe in the world. It's all I want to eat. Every day for the rest of my life. So I need plenty of bacon bits on hand. Plus I'm sure Michael will like to have these to sprinkle on his eggs or in his cereal or something. No one loves bacon more than he does.

1 comment: