Monday, July 15, 2013

A Letter to Mallory

Dear Mallory,
Today your dad and I cleaned and organized the office. Your sisters played happily downstairs, but you were content to be near us... near me. You are a mommy's girl. But I don't need to tell you that. I watched you walk around the room with your little waddle. I listened to your happy words and songs. Sitting on a desk near where we were working was a picture of my mother when she was just a little older than you are. She is a grandma now. But once she was a tiny girl with big innocent eyes just like yours. A lump rose in my throat as I thought about you, my Baby Mallory, and the fact that someday you will be a mother. And then a grandmother.
Fifty years from now who will know that you were the dearest 20 month old on the planet? Who will know that once upon a time you walked everywhere on your tippy toes? Who will know that you sang the cutest baby songs and gave the sweetest kisses? Who will know that every time you were sad, or tired, or needed comfort you would put your hand down your mommy's shirt and be immediately comforted?
I picked you up and danced with you the way I remember my Grandpa Christensen dancing with me and the way that I have seen him dance with your sisters, my cousins, your cousins, and my own brothers and sisters. We looked out the window and you pointed at the trees and the grass. You thought it was really fun for me to lift you up high so you could look out the very top of the window.
I held your face close to mine. I kissed your head and your peachy cheeks. And I cried.
I cried because I was happy. I cried because I was sad. I want you to stay my baby forever but that isn't the plan, is it? When I was finished being sad I cried just of few more tears, but this time of great happiness. Because you WILL be my baby forever. Heavenly Father has a plan for us and I know that our family is forever and ever and ever. You are mine eternally. What a lucky girl I am to know such a wonderful truth. I love you my baby girl.
Forever
and ever
and
ever.

Love, Mommy


2 comments:

  1. I'm sitting in a hair salon getting my hair fixed and you made me cry. That's the sweetest letter I have ever read. I am also a very lucky mommy. Blessed that YOU will be MY baby forever and ever and ever. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie! What beautiful letter! I love you. You are such an example to me!

    ReplyDelete